Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Feeling good after 80!

My 80 miler on Sunday started early (6:30 am) with my buddy Bob. It was a nice, cool 62 degrees starting out but it was supposed to be low 80's by the time I finished. Bob was going to ride part of it with me then head home.


After 20 miles Bob peeled off to head home and I was on my own. I thought I would not see many other people out riding but I was mistaken. The first four riders I saw were close to the base of my first big climb. As I approached, one of them fell over. Turns out he was stopping and trying to unclip from his pedals but couldn't get his foot out. He was stopping because there was another cyclist laying in the ditch off the road. This guy had crashed and was cut up pretty bad. I asked if they were alright and did they need anything. They said they were fine, the ambulance was on the way. Sure enough, as I made my way up the hill the ambulance was coming down. Yikes, scary stuff.

The rest of the ride was uneventful. Nothing but corn and…


…hay. Nice and peaceful.


I saw quite a few more cyclists as I got closer to home. Seems like everyone was out getting in a last big ride before Pelotonia weekend.

I did this route two weeks ago and was exhausted when I was done. When I finished this time I felt great. I had plenty of water and food so I finally did my nutrition right (I stopped to pee three times, just thought I would share that :) ).

The pic below is from the Facebook page of a writer for the local paper, the Columbus Dispatch. It shows some pretty interesting numbers for Pelotonia. The number of riders has changed since then, it's now 7,228.


I feel ready for the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks for reading and thanks for your support!

Best,
Robby

No comments:

Post a Comment