Friday, January 3, 2014

Marathon training, in this weather?!

Before the nasty weather set in this week, I was able to go out and train in somewhat decent conditions. Although the sun is shining in the picture below, the temperature was in the 20's with a wind chill in the high teens. I've got on 4 layers, heavy mittens, thermal pants and wool socks.

All this to train for a marathon I'm going to run in April.


People asked, "Are you not riding anymore?" Oh I'll always ride, just not right now, at least not outside. I'll ride a bit inside. I have my bike set up on a trainer in the basement. 


But I can only do that so much.

So in the last year-and-a-half I've taken up running again. My goal is to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I need to run a marathon in the Spring because the summer is all about riding. So if I'm running a marathon in the Spring, that means training in conditions like you see in the two pictures below.



That was yesterday. 12°F is pretty cold. Crazy I know, but for some reason I'm enjoying it. 

The lowest temp I've ever run in was last January, it was 19°F with a windchill of 0°F. 

Today's temp was 2°F with a windchill of -11°F.

I'm crazy, but not insane. Rest day today :)

Thanks for reading,
Robby



No comments:

Post a Comment